Shoes as an important element of our image should not be taken lightly when choosing them. And shoes are a key element when wearing them with a basic garment such as a dress. Many clothes, and especially the dress, stay at the back of the closet because you don’t know what shoes to wear it with. Or do you think the shoe must be “that” very uncomfortable one that you try to never wear? Women wear fewer and fewer dresses and it is a shame, because few garments are so sensual and feminine.
That is why I have prepared this blog post so that you know what shoes can be used with the dresses that we commonly wear. You are not going to take this as a strict rule that must be followed as I am telling you, but there are some considerations that we must take into account to look Divine.
What I do tell you is that when you are at the right moment when choosing shoes for a dress, take as a basis the shoes that you are already thinking of wearing and then choose the dress that complements them perfectly, if you want it to be the main element of your outfit.
Also when choosing the shoes you want to wear, you must know the occasion or event you will attend. For example: If it is a dress for a garden wedding, no matter how good it looks on you with thin heels, you cannot wear it, because you will spend the party with your heels sinking into the grass. If the party is on the beach, wear flat sandals. Remember that each dress can be worn with different styles of shoes.
Another important point is also the color. When choosing shoes, what you should always take into account will be the color of the dress in order to make the best choice. It will not be necessary for the dress and shoes to be the same color, but it will be necessary to combine them correctly. Some colors are always more difficult to combine, but nude colors will always get you out of trouble. You can also combine warm colors with shoes from the gold range and cold colors with the silver range, if you want to look more festive.
Just remember something: your shoes must be comfortable and of good quality because ultimately how good or bad you feel will be noticed by others and that will make you look fabulous or make your feet hurt.
Don’t miss these tips to learn how to choose the best shoe for the dress, and dress elegantly as well as comfortably.
Also read: How to choose shoes for a dress?
Shoes for formal dresses
Depending on the degree of formality and the place you are going to, you will need to use one type of shoe or another.
- If you go to the office, it is better that you wear high-heeled but comfortable shoes so that you look elegant and well dressed and that also allow you to endure a busy day. Stiletto shoes are an ideal option to look your best at work.
- Combine a pencil skirt dress in dark blue with black stilettos, or give a touch of color to your outfit by wearing an above-the-knee salmon-colored dress with beige shoes.
- If, on the other hand, it is a formal party, choose some peep toes or simple court shoes to successfully combine any look.
- Choose a black dress with a lace skirt to give a touch of originality to your look without losing an ounce of elegance. Combine it with shoes of the same color if you are looking for sobriety or with silver sandals for a more festive touch.
Shoes for casual dresses
Informal meetings with family, colleagues or friends give rise to a wide range of styles and combinations since there is not so much need to comply with aesthetic regulations, which allows you to show off a more casual look.
- If it is an informal meeting with your friends, you can combine a cute striped or monochrome dress with flat or high-heeled sandals, or even ballet flats of the same color.
- Go for fresh and fun colors for your dress such as emerald green, orange, turquoise, yellow or lilac.
- If you have a problem when it comes to combining footwear, keep in mind that pastel colors will always combine with light-colored footwear or white.
Shoes for very short dresses
Very short dresses are wonderful because they always stylize the legs and can be worn with high or low shoes, with ankle boots, and even with brogues for a very modern look. And although there is no general rule, short dresses are not usually worn with closed or pump-type shoes.
- Since the dress is very short, do not wear very high shoes as you will attract too much attention. The key is very simple: the shorter your dress, the lower your heel should be.
- Short dresses are not usually part of formal events and celebrations, so the variety of combinations and colors is very extensive. If you are looking for a morning look, go for light colors such as ocher or pale pink, along with beaded sandals in beige tones.
- If, on the other hand, you are looking for a sexy look for a fun night, a short red dress along with black mid-heeled shoes will be your best allies.
- For the most daring, nothing better than a dress with a pencil miniskirt in electric blue along with high-heeled sandals of the same color.
- If you want to wear a short, flared dress, stiletto heels or high-heeled sandals are the best option. Don’t forget that the best footwear will help you get an incredible look at all times.
Shoes for printed dresses
On the other hand, it is also possible to choose printed shoes if your dress allows it. This means that if it is a plain and/or simple dress, we can combine it with printed or colorful shoes, while if it is an ornate dress – with rhinestones, ruffles, etc. -, we will opt for discreet shoes that do not shadow the dress.
One of the advantages of wearing a printed dress is that it offers us more options when choosing the type of footwear, thanks to the variety of colors and styles:
- If it is a dress with a floral print, boho chic style, the ideal shoes are usually those with wedges, as well as leather sandals and even ballet flats.
- If it is a formal dress with an elegant checkered print, you can wear a more serious type of shoe, such as peep toes or stilettos. The ideal is to always choose one color for the shoes, since the combination of prints on both dress and footwear can be a bit complicated.
- Whenever you choose a printed dress, remember to choose a lighter, more discreet tone for the shoes. Ideally, the print takes center stage and the shoes complement the look, in a subtle and elegant way.
Also read: What do you need to be a fashion designer?
Shoes for long dresses
Long prom dresses should be worn with appropriate shoes. In the case of floor-length dresses, it is recommended to wear heels so as not to step on them, although it is also possible to wear them with flat shoes.
- If they are long, flowing casual dresses, high espadrilles will look great, as will high-heeled sandals.
- On the other hand, it is important to check the length: if you drag it and you don’t have time to fix the hem, it is better to wear high heels. If it is ankle-length, high heels will look terrible, so it would be better to wear flat sandals.
- There is a tendency to use the same color in both the dress and the shoes, however there are combinations that can make us look brilliant. Go for a coral-colored dress with gold sandals to get a combination full of luminosity or a bottle green dress that will look splendid with black platform sandals with rhinestones.
- If you want to become the center of the celebration, combine a fuchsia pink dress with pumps in metallic tones. The result will be sensational.
- With long dresses, high-heeled sandals, high-heeled shoes or gladiator sandals are indicated.
- In Wrap dresses, heeled sandals are the ideal option without a doubt. Your legs will look fabulous. If they are party dresses, shiny shoes combine very well.
For days when you want to wear a dress for no special reason, you can wear cute ballerinas or high heels. Tennis shoes are also a great option that you can consider. Remember to choose your footwear according to where you are going. In a park, for example, heels are not as comfortable as tennis shoes.
The beach! Who doesn’t like going to the beach? When you travel to those paradisiacal places, flat sandals or wedges will be your allies. These shoes will look great with your favorite beach dresses.
As you will see, there are some dresses that require heels and others that do not. The final decision of whether or not to opt for high-heeled shoes will be solely yours, since you will have to assess whether it is a good option. In addition to the type of occasion, you should also take into account factors such as the place where you are going, the hours you will have to spend standing, the endurance you have when wearing heels, etc. If you are not going to feel comfortable in high heels, look for a flat shoe that matches your dress. Or there is always the option of combining both and, once you get tired of the heels, change them for flat ones.
To correctly combine the shoes with the dress, we cannot forget the accessories. Perhaps it will not be necessary for the shoes and the bag to be the same color, but we will have to ensure that some accessories do not clash with the rest, and that everything forms a perfect combination.
Now that you know the types of shoes that will combine perfectly with your dresses, buy comfortable shoes that do not harm your feet and combine them with your dresses in a favorable way following these tips that I have given you.
Something that you don’t plan to use more than once will be a bad choice. Remember that respecting your style and wearing something that gives you comfort will make you project more security and self-confidence on any occasion.