Rosacea is a very common skin condition (especially light skin) and is manifested by redness in the central part of the face and neck. It is a chronic condition that more women suffer from than men, but it affects them more severely. The age at which it most commonly appears is between 30 and 50 years old.
Its cause is unknown, but it is believed that it may arise from a combination of hereditary and environmental factors. Symptoms may appear for weeks or months, disappear, and resurface again.
Although there is still no absolute cure, we know that it can be perfectly treated since many of the factors that intensify the pathology are known. These may be prolonged exposure to the sun; proximity to the oven, kitchen, sauna or high-temperature environments; drinking very hot drinks, alcohol or very spicy foods; consuming medications that contain corticosteroids and estrogens or some that are used to control blood pressure, among others.
Today I want to talk to you a little about rosacea and its characteristics, treatment and general recommendations for makeup that you can use or what steps to follow to hide it if you suffer or know someone with this condition.
First of all, you must keep in mind that this disease as such requires treatment, so it is best to consult a dermatologist to give you a specific treatment for your problem since this will make it easier to apply makeup. Trying to hide it with inappropriate products will aggravate the problem. Once the problem has been fought from the inside, it must also be fought from the outside with healthy lifestyle habits to prevent its appearance, that is, a healthy diet rich in vitamins, especially C and D, and eating fresh and natural foods such as fruits and salads, control stress and anxiety in your daily life and minimize it with relaxation or breathing techniques.
Do you want to know how to apply makeup for skin with rosacea? In this blog post I will teach you how you can prepare your skin for makeup and how to hide this redness that makes you uncomfortable. List?
Also read: How and Where to Use Glitter Makeup?
What are the symptoms of Rosacea?
The most common are red areas in the central part of the face. Up close you can see the small blood vessels in the cheeks, chin, forehead and nose.
- Many people affected by rosacea also have acne in the reddened areas.
- Eye problems: 50% of people affected by rosacea may also suffer from dry eye problems or swollen eyelids.
- Thickening of the nose, a more common symptom in men.
If rosacea is not treated over time, the redness can become more intense and persistent.
There are numerous treatments that can be performed to treat rosacea, ranging from moisturizing creams according to each skin type to oral antibiotics or laser surgeries. The important thing is to know that, with proper care, rosacea can be treated.
- Fragrance-free, hypo-allergenic and gentle cosmetics.
- Mild 100% natural soaps such as chamomile and oatmeal or apply chamomile infusion compresses or cold thyme tea to reduce skin inflammation. Cucumber also decongests the skin, which can be placed in small slices on the face or look for creams that contain it.
- Use gentle cleansing products, specific for sensitive skin or rosacea. Some examples are leave-in milks and micellar waters.
- Thermal waters, which will tone and soothe this type of skin, like natural non-alcoholic rose water, also relieve the symptoms of rosacea, because it makes the tightness of the skin disappear. This product has soothing properties that cleanse and reduce inflammation of the skin, in addition to being 100% natural and giving you instant relief. It is great to use them, especially in hot weather, which is what girls with rosacea suffer the most from.
- Very moisturizing creams specific for this problem, which hydrate a lot and help prevent irritation, stinging, itching and burning of the skin. Skin with rosacea is the most delicate and it is essential to maintain hydration since it generally dries easily or has greater acne problems. Moisturizing also helps us prevent premature aging of the skin.
- It is very important to always use sun factor, even on cloudy or winter days, since the ideal is to avoid sun exposure because it worsens injuries. It is very important that you protect yourself from the sun or your problem could get much worse, not to mention how much redness hurts when you are exposed to the sun. Look for a light, gel-based product, or with a good amount of water, and especially with a sun factor above 30 or 50. Especially if your skin is very fair.
- Weekly use of the anti-redness mask that provides calm and freshness to the skin, thus reducing irritation.
What you should avoid
- Avoid very hot water in your daily hygiene, as well as saunas or baths with high temperatures.
- Do not rub, you unconsciously attack your skin. Whenever you dry your face, pat it dry.
- Avoid foods with excess fat, spicy and irritating foods such as vinegar. Consume chocolate and mature cheeses in moderation.
- Avoid very hot drinks (coffee) or toxic drinks (alcohol).
- Avoid smoking. No to tobacco.
- No to depressive periods, it reduces your quality of life.
- Do not use cleansers with mineral oils or astringent lotions such as camphor and menthol.
- Avoid peelings, scrubs and massages, as well as sponges, brushes or other abrasives for the skin.
- Do not use creams with corticosteroids, at first it seems to improve the skin, but when you remove it the condition worsens.
Also read: Benefits of Vitamin C for the Skin
Makeup Products for Skin with Rosacea
To make up skin with rosacea, several factors must be considered to avoid damaging it and to cover the redness areas.
When applying makeup, try not to rub so much so as not to overstimulate the skin and cause it to redden more. With the hand we are always much more careful than with the brush, since when touching it directly we feel how it responds without altering it, unlike beating the skin with a brush. Therefore, always clean and sanitize your hands. Discard sponges that are rough and hard.
As for makeup bases, it is important that they be formulas that give a matte finish (oil-free) and with mineral ingredients, but that allow the skin to breathe, so the formula must be soft and flexible to be able to spread it easily and above all, it protects us from the sun. There are some great foundations that double as treatments and are designed specifically for redness. Some that I can advise you to look for and that give very good results are Redness Solution from Clinique or 1 2 3 Perfect from Bourjois.
As for concealers, you can choose one in a tone similar to your skin tone or a green one to neutralize redness and a yellow tone in dark circles to cover them. Remember to use it before your makeup base to cover small imperfections. I recommend that they be liquid. Look for concealers that are made from natural ingredients. If rosacea is found in several areas of your face, I also recommend using a green makeup primer, you will see how it neutralizes redness and reduces the pink tone and your skin will appear with a more uniform tone. Try to make its ingredients natural so as not to harm the skin so much.
Finally, be sure to apply a loose powder to seal your makeup. Make sure it is 100% mineral. Mineral products are your skin’s best friends.
The use of pink blush is prohibited for this type of skin since that area may be seen to be redder.
Also read: Tips for Exfoliating Facial Skin
Makeup Routine to Cover Rosacea
Now that you know what facial and makeup products to use, learn about the makeup routine that will make your skin look more even and natural.
- First of all, make sure your face is clean to start applying all the beauty products.
- Spray a little of the thermal water all over your face and wait for it to dry. You will feel how fresh your skin looks, as well as, you will be reducing inflammation in the most problematic areas. It is best to spray very gently all over the face.
- Once the water has dried, you are going to proceed to apply your hypoallergenic moisturizer with gentle massages all over your face. Don’t scrub your skin or you’ll only make rosacea worse. Wait for your skin to absorb this product before moving on to the next step.
- Then apply your sunscreen. Spread a light layer over your entire face, even up to your neck.
- Correct your imperfections with a concealer similar to your skin tone under the eyes and/or with a green concealer or green primer to neutralize redness. The green concealer should be very specific in the areas with redness. For the first one, apply it with touches to the forehead, cheeks and chin. Blend by tapping with your fingertips.
- To apply your makeup base, do it gently, either with a soft sponge, dabbing with a brush that doesn’t rub your skin as much, or with your fingers. Do this gently, paying special attention to blending any reddened areas. Wetting the sponge a little will help you obtain a more uniform result without excess product. Personally, I recommend this method more than using your hands because it is a little cleaner and if we talk about sponges, the Beauty Blender is one that can serve you very well. Just remember to always keep them clean.
- To keep it intact for longer, you just have to take a soft brush to seal the makeup on your face with your translucent mineral powder, to ensure it lasts.
- Finally, apply a little blush and a soft tone (peach, for example).
In itself this is the basic thing you need to do to get flawless skin. The rest of your makeup can continue as usual.
- Don’t forget to always keep your brushes, sponges and other makeup items clean as the accumulation of bacteria in dirty or wet brushes or sponges is very harmful to this skin problem.
- Also apply thermal water at night. After removing your makeup and before going to sleep, spray another layer of thermal water on your skin. It is very useful to wake up with relaxed and clean skin in the morning.
- Reduce your sun exposure as much as possible, prefer shady places. When you leave the house, don’t forget to wear hats and sunglasses to protect yourself from the heat.
- Any choice or change in facial or cosmetic products that you make, do not forget to ask a dermatologist first to guarantee your purchase. Don’t be afraid to spend on these products, remember that it is about your health.
- Another tip that can help you a lot to eliminate redness is to use a rosacea mask to improve the appearance of the skin on your face.
- Do not use products with alcohol and do not abuse makeup.
Now you know all the recommendations to be able to apply makeup and achieve a uniform complexion. Do not forget that if you suffer from this condition, the only one who can definitely help you with adequate treatment is a doctor. Taking this recommendation into account will save you a lot of money and bad experiences. Do not forget!